In 2016, we saw lots of neutrals, from two-toned kitchen cabinets to farmhouse entryways. Pinterest recently released the Pinterest 100, featuring trending ideas to try in 2017, and we have to say, it looks like COLOR is the theme of the year! Another example of how color will shine in 2017 is Greenery, a zesty yellow-green shade just named Pantone’s Color of the Year. Without further ado, read on for some our favorite trends from the Pinterest 100…
From January 20-22, enter our January Facebook and Instagram contests for your chance to win two project pots of Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan! Please read the official rules and entry instructions below.
Custom blue Chalk Paint® mixed by Annie Stockist in Marsta, Sweden, Lina på Landet, with two parts Aubusson Blue to one part Florence.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
Facebook and Instagram contests are limited to the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
On Facebook, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Facebook page and enter a valid comment on the applicable Facebook post. On Instagram, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Instagram account, enter a valid comment on the applicable Instagram post, and tag a friend. Entrant can submit one entry per site between January 20 – 22, 2017.
1) One (1) Winner per applicable site will be selected at random from all the entries. The one (1) Prize is valued at approximately US$40 and includes two project pots of Chalk Paint®.
January 20, 2017
January 22, 2017. Winners will be announced here on or around January 23, 2017.
On Facebook, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Facebook page and enter a valid comment on the applicable Facebook post. On Instagram, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Instagram account, enter a valid comment on the applicable Instagram post, and tag a friend. All other entries will be disqualified. This contest is limited to participants in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. SPONSORS: This promotion (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Unfolded, 639 Julia Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA 70062, (504) 309-4454, www.unfolded.com (the “Sponsor”), subject to the following terms and conditions.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest limited to the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Stockists and their immediate families are not eligible to enter and Employees of Stockists and their immediate family are not eligible to enter.
3. TIMING: Contest begins at the Start of Day (CST) on January 20, 2017 and continues until the End of Day (CST) on January 22, 2017. Online entries must be received by the End of Day (CST) on January 22, 2017 to be eligible.
4. ENTRY PERIOD: HOW TO ENTER: On Facebook, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Facebook page and enter a valid comment on the applicable Facebook post. On Instagram, Entrant must “Follow” the Unfolded Instagram account, enter a valid comment on the applicable Instagram post, and tag a friend. Entrant can submit one entry per site. Entries become the property of the Sponsor, not Facebook, or any other social site. One (1) random Winner per applicable site will be selected from the entries. Entrants must meet all conditions of this section; Sponsor is not responsible for any technical difficulties which prevent Entrant from meeting any or all conditions.
5. PRIZES AND ODDS: One (1) Winner per applicable site will be selected randomly from all the entries and will win a prize valued at approximately US$40. Prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash and shipment instructions must be sent within sixty (60) days of win. No extension will be given after the prize has expired. If winner is unable to redeem package within the time period required, the prize will be forfeited. Odds of winning shall be determined by the number of eligible entries received. Prizes are nontransferable and must be accepted as awarded. Prize will be awarded if properly claimed. Unfolded will assume delivery costs and Winner(s) are responsible for any taxes due.
6. DRAWING: The winning selection will be announced on or about January 23, 2017. Winning is contingent upon compliance with all terms and conditions set forth in these official rules.
7. NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified by private message and/or email within two weeks following the drawing. Winner notified must respond within ten (10) days of notice of award.
8. RELEASE: By participating in the Contest and/or accepting a prize, a participant/winner consents to and gives the Sponsor the right to use, publish, and display a winner’s (and where applicable a participant’s) name, city, state and country, and prize awarded, for the purpose of advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes in any media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, and on the Web, without review, notification or approval, all without additional consideration, unless prohibited by law.
9. LAW: Subject to all country, federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrants or Sponsor in connection with any drawing or award, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of, the State of Louisiana, without regard to conflict of law principles. Any cause of action by you with respect to the offer (and/or any information, products or services related thereto) must be instituted within one (1) year after the cause of action arose or be forever waived and barred. All actions shall be subject to the limitations set forth in above.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any social media site, including Facebook and Instagram.
Hygge (hoo-gah) is the art of cozy living, a Danish term that embraces the happy moments and possibilities of everyday life by enjoying the warmth and contentment of a happy lifestyle and home. Annie Sloan defines hygge as “something hard to define, but I come to mean surrounding myself with calm, soothing, warm and cosy things.”
Just one great example of hygge is Annie’s own bathroom at her house in Normandy, France, a room she describes as an oasis of sanctuary and calm. Annie chose warm, soft tones like Coco, Louis Blue, Olive and Aubusson Blue to paint the room. And to keep that comforting feeling going, she used candles to light the room, making it the perfect place to switch off and recharge her creative batteries.
Looking to incorporate hygge into your own home this winter? It’s about finding colors that charm your senses, products that make it easy to update décor and projects that help create a warm, welcoming home. Visit your local Annie Sloan Stockist to help pull together your own hygge style, and be sure to share those projects with us on Facebook and Instagram!
[This post was originally published on Annie Sloan’s blog, Paint and Colour. You can read the original post here.]
This little side table is one of a pair that I’d recently acquired. Pieces like these are easy to come across and many people will already have something similar in their homes. They’re often finished in that orangey pine that people have fallen out of love with, which makes them the perfect candidate for a new year makeover using just a little Chalk Paint®!
And when I say a little paint, I really mean it – it took just a couple of my small project pots to do the whole piece! If you were lucky enough to receive one of my Mini Project Packs over the holiday season and are looking for inspiration of how to use it, I hope this helps.
At this time of year, the colours that I start to use in my work are rich, earthy, warm and full of depth. They comfort me and give me that little injection of earthy nature that I so long for in the dark winter months, which is why I’ve chosen to use Amsterdam Green and Aubusson Blue on this piece – two colours that work beautifully especially with the injection of Black Chalk Paint® Wax, which really brings out those deep jewel tones whilst highlighting the texture of the paintwork.
Or course you don’t have to use these colours, and with my Mini Project Pack you choose the colours to suit your taste.
For this makeover, you will need:
- Start by removing the drawers from the shell of the piece and paint the front of the drawers in Aubusson Blue using a Pure Bristle Brush. Apply the paint thickly, moving the brush in all different directions to create that gorgeous texture that my coloured Chalk Paint® Waxes thrive on.
- Paint the shell of the piece in Amsterdam Green – again applying the paint thickly, moving the brush in all different directions.
- Once the paint is completely dry, apply Clear Chalk Paint® Wax. Make sure you work the wax into the surface and wipe away any excess with a lint free cloth. Using one of my wax brushes makes it really easy to get the wax in to all that gorgeous brushwork.
- While the Clear Chalk Paint® Wax is still wet, begin to apply Black Chalk Paint® Wax. Work the wax in to the surface – pushing it in to the crevices in the paint and surface, and then, use Clear Chalk Paint® Wax to gently wipe away any excess of Black Chalk Paint® Wax. If you apply too much Black Chalk Paint® Wax, don’t worry – the Clear Chalk Paint® Wax acts like an eraser and can remove it.
And there you have it! I’d love to see how you’ve used your Mini Project Packs, so please tag me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
As excited as we are to ring in the new year in just a few short days, it’s time to reflect on 2016. This year was a great one – we showcased lots of fabulous consumer and stockist projects, from an ombré dresser-turned-changing table to dying all sorts of fabric (from curtains to clothes!). Below we’re sharing 10 of our most popular posts from throughout the year. Which one is your favorite?
10. Ombré dresser-turned-changing table
9. Introducing Giverny!
8. Woodland fairytale wedding shoot
7. An armoire fit for a princess
5. Chevron sideboard
4. Pin-spiring buffets
3. Drop cloth curtain
2. Chalk Paint®: it’s to dye for!
1. 5 best apps for furniture painters
What projects do you have planned for 2017?
With Christmas just over a week away, you may be in need of some last minute decorating ideas… As always, look no further than Annie Sloan, who’s whipping up six easy DIY holiday projects – dubbed Christmas Shelfies – over on her blog this week!
[This post was originally published on Annie’s blog, Paint and Colour. You can read the original post here.]
We’re now a fifth of the way through the #25Project with transformation number 5, Muscatine Centre for Social Action (or MCSA) in Iowa, USA, now complete!
The wonderful work of MCSA instantly caught my attention during the nomination period for the #25Project. The centre provides emergency and temporary housing, healthcare, education and support services to local people in need, and is incredibly important to the community. I think that the wonderful turnout of 40 local people volunteering their time and services to the transformation is evidence of this!
The users and workers at this former YMCA chose to focus on transforming the family room – a room that hadn’t been updated in over 20 years. I recently found out that the family suites and common area of MCSA were formerly a swimming pool, and that a generous donation from Phil Collins (yes, THAT Phil Collins) funded the cost of building a floor!
A huge thank you goes out to the lovely mother and daughter team of Cindy Tubandt and Jennifer Conard, who run Fresh Vintage in Muscatine, for organising and leading the whole transformation. They held workshops to teach volunteers how to use Chalk Paint® to paint chairs (that had been kindly donated by a local restaurant) and to dye pillows and curtains using the Shibori technique. The turnout from volunteers was so great that they managed to get the transformation complete in just the one weekend!
I love what a successful local project this has turned out to be. As soon as people heard that this transformation was taking place, more and more companies started to generously donate. From financial support to food supplies to electrical work, the whole space is now complete. It looks warm, inviting, playful and fun – a safe place of support. Well done to every single person involved in this project, it has been such a joy to see the photos of the space come in and I love this video that a local school created for the transformation too!
[This post was originally published on Annie’s blog, Paint and Colour. You can read the original post here.]
I’ve loved sharing with you the transformations of the #25Projects as they come in, and there are still plenty more to come, 21 in fact! This week the space I want to focus on is a little train station cafe in rural Sweden.
When I picked this place as one of the spaces I was intrigued to see how the end result would look, and as the pictures were sent to me I was amazed at the incredible amount of heart and soul went in to the whole process. What truly stood out was how much of a sense of caring and community came through, and this was cemented by the wonderful description of the event sent to me by one of the volunteers, Märta Waldrop.
So lovely and moving was this letter sent to me that I think it best that you hear from the volunteers in their own words about the transformation of the space.
Take it away, Märta!
2016 has been a great year for the Annie Sloan brand – we’ve launched a number of new products, including Black & White Chalk Paint® Wax, Coloured Linens, a new book and finally, three new Chalk Paint® colors: Giverny, Amsterdam Green and Honfleur!
A few months ago we shared some great Giverny inspiration and today we’re going to be sharing just a few of our favorite Amsterdam Green pieces done by Annie Sloan Stockists worldwide!
Photo credit: Alabama, USA stockist Perfectly Imperfect